Spring and fall are the best seasons for you to consider mulching the lawn, trees, flower beds, and vegetable garden. As our experts in lawn care in Columbus OH have said many times before, mulching can perform wonders for the soil and your plants if you have our team install it professionally. Since there is no better time to speak about mulch than early spring, here are its main benefits you should consider!
10 Reasons You Should Mulch According to our Pros in Lawn Care in Columbus OH
Before we begin, we should remind everyone that mulch is a material we spread on the soil to act as a cover. Mulch can be organic or inorganic. The first has plenty of benefits for the lawn and landscape, while the latter acts more as a decorative element of your garden. Now that we all know the definitions let’s see the top reasons why you should have our pros in lawn care in Columbus OH add organic mulch on your property!
- When it decomposes, it adds organic nourishment and fertilization to the soil and plants’ roots; therefore, it makes your turf and landscape more resilient to pests and weeds, saving you money in the process;
- It also provides your soil and plants with slow-release nutrients and vitamins, amending the soil and feeding the plants;
- It acts as an umbrella for newly planted seeds – it protects the seedlings from too much sun, harsh weather, and cold temperatures;
- It can save some money, time, and effort with watering, as it prevents heat from contributing to the evaporation of water from the soil;
- According to our experts in lawn care in Columbus OH, a properly laid layer of mulch acts as insulation for the soil and plants’ roots. Therefore, it prevents plant stress, as it keeps the roots cool in summer and warm in winter (hence its spring and fall recommended applications);
- As mulch blocks the sunlight to reach seedlings and roots directly, it also prevents weed proliferation and competition for resources with the other plants you grow. It does not mean you should give up on fertilization and weed control altogether. However, just as our pros in lawn care in Columbus OH say, you will have an easier time to remove weeds from your property once your local team of experts mulched and applied the proper fertilizers;
- By acting as an umbrella or a blanket for the soil, mulch also protects the plants’ roots from pests and wildlife;
- Hardy mulches, like tree bark, wood chips, or vegetal hulls and shells can amend the soil while they decompose, turning clay soils into friendlier and less messy environments, while binding sandy soils for the benefit of your crops;
- It also prevents soil compaction from heavy traffic, heavy rains, and so on;
- It improves the visual appeal of your flowerbeds, lawn edges, tree lines, flower and vegetable gardens, and more.
Talk to our local experts in lawn care in Columbus OH and ask them about the mulches they use and the advantages (or disadvantages) of organic and inorganic mulches. Depending on the makeup of your landscape, they can offer you the best advice and products regarding the mulching of your property.