Contrary to popular belief, you should trim your trees and shrubs in winter. Except for some deciduous varieties (that you should prune only in spring, after their full blossoming cycle), your woody vegetation will thank you for giving it a necessary trim during the cold season. Our lawn care Lewis Center OH team is here to offer you their best advice on the matter.
5 Advantages of Winter Tree Pruning to Know
Our experts in lawn care in Lewis Center OH want to let you in on some secrets you may not know about winter pruning and trimming of shrubs and trees:
- You get full visibility – when the trees and shrubs lose foliage in winter you can see all the dead and diseased branches to take care of, all overgrowths you need to remove, and all the tweaks you need to make, so the shrub/tree follows the overall growth pattern;
- In winter, pathogens and insects lie dormant – therefore, you do not risk them attacking the fresh cuts on trees to damage them;
- Trimming and pruning your trees in winter means less stress for them, as they lie dormant and you do not interrupt their regular natural processes and development;
- Since you remove diseased and dead parts of your trees and shrubs, you allow your woody plants to gain and store more energy to compensate for the cut damage and stimulate bountiful spring growth;
- If the ground is cold – frozen even – you will have an easier time moving around your heavy equipment, tools, and gear, without damaging your landscape. However, if you have doubts about winter pruning and the use of heavy machinery, you can always ask our lawn care service in Lewis Center OH for professional aid.
How to Prune Your Trees in Winter: Maximum Efficiency in Lawn Care in Lewis Center OH
According to our lawn care in Lewis Center OH service providers, you could use some tips on tree and shrub winter pruning to increase the efficiency of your actions:
- Pick a warm, sunny day for your trimming operations; if that is not the case, go outside on a dry, mild day;
- Start with the dead and diseased branches first, then continue with the overgrowths and smaller twigs;
- Always cut the branches at the nodes, making sure you do not damage the trees and shrubs;
- Never leave the dead/diseased branches or twigs on the ground, as they entertain the thriving of diseases and pests;
- Keep in mind to prune and trim the hedges, shrubs, and trees according to their variety’s needs; in case you do not know how to prune each species, ask our lawn care service Lewis Center OH providers for their help.
Call our Team of Lawn Care in Lewis Center OH to Help You
Sometimes it is incredibly difficult and risky to climb tall solid treed to trim them; in other cases, lack of knowledge and experience may lead to vegetation damage or, worse, accidents. Have our local lawn care Lewis Center OH experts come over, assess the situation, bring in their tools and help you achieve your goals with no stress!